5 different types of accommodation for your stay in Tanzania in 2023
Updated: Mar 12
Happy New year from Tanzania, when planning my trip from October 2022 to December 2021, I’ve had to be flexible with my circumstances changing and have extended my stay for 3 weeks instead of the initial 2, in order to familiarize with the country, the most. I’ve been trying several types of accommodation to fit different travellers and be able to advice you best for your upcoming Trip to Zanzibar or mainland Tanzania in 2023. We have been trying the following type of accommodation:
1. Budget Family-owned hotel in Stone town city centre, to have access to all amenities within close reach: Local cafes, restaurants, accessibility to nearby ATMs, and taxis to move around the island, suppliers for local excursions. Typical budget £130/ $150 USD for a week in a single room with en-suite bathroom, inclusive of breakfast.
2. Budget Single room, in a newly reconverted Guest house, single room with shared bathroom/ toilets in Stone town city centre. Typical budget £130/ $150 USD for 8 days, inclusive of breakfast. Simple and practical better comfort that a Youth Hostel. Proximity to nearby amenities, excursions, safe neighbourhood.
3. Budget friendly Premium Flat share, Double room with en-suite bathroom, very spacious and always sold out! This is a gem with a daily budget of $25 with modern decoration and shared living room, kitchen and washing machine. Proximity to nearby amenities in Stone town city centre, excursions, safe neighbourhood. If you want a more homely stay at budget friendly price.
4. Lodges when you will be visiting safaris parks in the North of Tanzania, in Moshi & Arusha region, you will surely stay in a mixture of Lodges, mid-range hotel and family-owned Guest houses. They are an upgrade to the traditional safari camping more suitable to the adventurers! We will be reviewing different ranges of them, from pricing to comfort level, and onsite services that makes your stay a different & unforgettable experience!
5. Luxury beachfront beach, if you are in this mood for a honeymoon style holidays, why not! There are many on the Coastline of Zanzibar in between, Nungwi, Bejwuu, Paje and to choose from at different price ranges and with amazing facilities like infinity pools, onsite Spice farm, night-time cinema
Credits Hotel Emerald Palm , Stonetown, Zanzibar
1. Budget family-owned hotel or mid-range hotel
As I wanted to vary my future experience, I’ve also booked a single ensuite room in a family run hotel in Stone town. I did appreciated the colourfulness of the room wall and the fact that it was equipped with natural organic skincare and body wash products in the bathroom.
A mid range hotel will offer additional amenities such as:
Private suite, you can have a friendly staff which will store your fresh bottles of water during your stay to help be attentive to your needs whenever needed.
· Friendly staff.
· Paying laundry services
A dedicated hotel restaurant where:
· Complimentary breakfast is being served
· On demand meals can be cooked for you should you wish
· Recommend you or call a local taxi partner for you should you ask reception when needed
· Security guard at night to ensure your safety
· Additional paying services
· Night guard security
· Friendly staff
· Location may not be right by a beach, but in the city centre, you will need to take a taxi to access the most prised beaches on the island.
Hotel Emerald Palm, Stonetown, Zanzibar island, Tanzania
Pricing range : Less than 130 USD- 150 USD / £125 - £140 for 7/8 nights
Spice hotel, Ensuite Single Room, Stone town, Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Out of season in April May price are lower less than £200/ $230 for 8 days, in high season in December January price go up to £600/ 700 USD a week for a single or double room ensuite
2. and 3. How to choose your room in a Guest house/ Flat share?
1. Go do some research on website like booking, com, TripAdvisor, Airbnb, Hotels.com, Vrbo.com
2. Filter by your destination main city(ies) depending if you are doing a road trip, backpacking or moving staying in one location
3. Look at the past guest reviews and filter by your traveler profile (solo, family, couple, groups of friends)
4. If you are a female solo traveler pay attention to local, proximity to taxis, ATM nearby, proximity to the beach or attraction, local supermarket, restaurants, safety or noise at night, access to nightlife and how can you come back safely.
5. Feel free to connect with your guests and ask questions via the platform DM/ messaging systems or via what’s app a few days prior your arrival. That will help you in your final selection.
6. Make your selection and Book online
7. Closer to your arrival date add the host on your what’s app and communicate to find your way around the accommodation, or tell them about your arrival date and time for a smooth check in experience. I personally don’t hesitate to ask for early check in if I had an early flight to avoid roaming around and carry tiredness with heavy luggage’s, refresh, have a shower and get a restful nap. If not possible, ask to drop your belongings to the luggage/ storage room instead.
· Access to local network for food spots, taxis to hire,
· Recommendations on best tours to do and places to visit locally. Cheaper accommodation type
· Shared Kitchen if you want to cook during your holidays
· Shared bathroom depending of your room type, you need to think how long you can handle it if you’re a woman or if you rather favour your privacy depending on cultural affinity.
· You could have some noisy neighbourghs at nights, or lack of sleep due to the guesthouse host pets.
· It won’t have the medium luxury feel of a resort or dedicated Breakfast facility. You will probably have to have breakfast in a nearby partner café or restaurant, so include more time in the morning to get ready before to get on with your day.
Pricing range : Less than 110 USD- 140 USD / £130 - £150 for 7/8 nights in Central Stone town, Zanzibar island
Spice Nest Apartment, modern Flat share, Stone town, Zanzibar – Double bedroom for rental
Price range from 25 USD a night available on booking.com
Electra Inn, Guest house, Renovated House, Budget friendly single and Double rooms with shared bathroom & toilets on ground floor, shared kitchen are, ens-suite double rooms on 1st floor.
Contact us and we can arrange direct booking with 15% discount if you stay with Electra Inn and come from Melanin Travels Magic.
Prices start from $20 to $30 a night per double room with shared bathroom
Credits: Melanin Travels Magic Ltd & Electra Inn
4. How to choose your lodge during Safari, trekking activities in and around Arusha and Moshi.
Most probably our local safari business partner will ask you about your budget and accommodation preferences and recommend matching lodges and hotel to match.
· Enjoy some comfort after a very long safari game drive day, most parks are located around 200 km of Arusha or Moshi
· Enjoying the amazing leafy and mountain landscapes of Moshi & Arusha
· Experience the luxury lodges to have more attentive staff and access to room services if need be.
· Reconnect with nature for the budget friendly one as they will often have on site a local farm and
· Having your own ensuite bathroom, a fridge is not always the norm.
· Be ready for some random electricity power cuts when visiting Mainland Tanzania and bring a spare small torch lamp (hiking style) a strong power bank too
· Being in a residential area mean extra security is needed at night, lock all doors and windows
· Hearing the neighbour’s cockerel early morning of the frequently, be an early riser!
Pricing range : from than 25 USD- 150 USD / £20 - £140 per night
High view Lodge, Luxury lodge, Price starts at $130/ £100 a night,
Address: Along Highway, B144, Karatu, Tanzania
Serengeti Villas, family owned, Guest House, price start at $25/ £21 a night ,
Address: Kwa lala 6, Old Moshi Road, Arusha, Tanzania
Tulia Hotel, White Rose Road, Sakina, Arusha, Tanzania, Deluxe Double room half board, prices started at $77 for 2 nights
Address: White Rose Road, Sakina Arusha, 14251, Tanzania
Banana Eco Farm, Arusha , family owned, Guest House & Youth Hostel , price start at $25- $30/ £21 - $25 a night
6. Luxury Beachfront resort, on North Eastern Zanzibar Coast shore
Safira Blu, Nungwi, price depending on season £700- £960 / $800 to $1,000 a night,
Address: Kissnakani, Nungwi, East Zanzibar, Tanzania
You can also visit for one day with a day pass for $50 for 1 person or $90 for 2 people, you will have access to the infinity pool, the beach, the 3 restaurants & bars, the pool decks and some complimentary drinks (3 cocktails and free water) & 2 main starters. Open from 9 am to 6 pm. You will also have some DJ, live band and surprise animation. Look no further some glimpse below. Join the party!
Activities details pdf below
Fancy help with planning your next Tanzanian cultural and leisure getaway?
We have also expanded massively and can now help you plan some unforgettable holidays activities, transport and accommodation in the following destinations: Tanzania, Egypt, Ghana, Senegal, Zambia, Namibia, Madagascar, Kenya, South Africa, Sao Tome, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Turkey, Morocco, Ivory Coast, Congo, Nigeria, Benin. If you need help planning your next holidays whether you are a solo traveller, a duo, a group of friends or a corporate retreat. If you fancy a mixture of black heritage and leisure experiences, we got you!
To find out more email us at: email@example.com You can also fill in this trip planning request form and we will get back to you with costs and a quote: http://bit.ly/3i7MKvo
Or schedule a Zoom Discovery call to find out we could help you plan your next holidays.